Thursday, April 7, 2011

I Just Got Back From The Hospital

Did I worry you? Good. I wanted to illustrate the power of words and their meanings. Ok, you can stop worrying now. By "hospital" I meant "doctor's office." In Korea, when they say "hospital" they mean "doctor's office." On numerous occasions, my Korean co-worker, Christine, has told me about having to rush from the hospital to work. I also have a young student who was always going to the hospital after class. Imagine my concern, for these two people. Why was my friend and co-worker spending so much time at the hospital? After months of being really concerned, I came to find out that it was merely routine doctor visits, NOT scary hospital stays, and I was just unaware of the word usage.

I have also been perplexed by the number of my students who shake their heads "no" everytime they see me. I usually react with some nerdy adult response such as "NO? Why are you saying no to me?" In time, I came to find out that shaking your head "no" at someone is the same as waving hello. You use this greeting when you are either: A.) lazy; B.) your hands are full; or C.) both a and b. It still takes me a minute to stop myself from saying something stupid, before I can respond "hello" back to them.

On a sadder note (don't worry, no one died), two people that I have grown very close to during my life in Korea, have left to go back to Canada. On the bright side, they are going on an adventure around the world: first the Trans-Siberian Railway to Moscow, then touring Europe, then Home. On the dark side, I don't get to see them everyday and spend time with them on the weekends. They will be lifelong friends, and I am sad that I didn't get to spend more time with them, but they have proven to be inspirational to me and the things that I want for my life.

Jennifer won a contest and got to have her photo displayed in two
different coffee shops in Seoul. Unfortunately, it was stolen before
Lawrence could pick it up! I miss them so much already!

Here's to meeting and making good friends, no matter where you go!

1 comment:

  1. In South Africa a 'Surgery' is a doctor. Often times 'Surgurys' are in dilapidated old buildings on the of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Or in the city there will be a 'Surgery' sign with an arrow pointing to a back alley.

    ReplyDelete