Sunday, October 28, 2012

Mind your V's and W's

You must be wondering if I have been able to learn any Polish during my first month here. The answer is 'not really,' and I will tell you why. First, Polish is just about as hard for me to learn as Korean was. Polish is a Slavic language, with just as many unpronounceable sounds as Korean has, along with a different subject/verb/object order. Second, I don't have a brain that is conducive to speaking multiple languages. I just don't soak it up like other people seem to do.

So I am here today to tell you practically the only thing I understand about the Polish language: The W's are pronounced like V's.

Sylwia = Sylvia
Weronika = Veronica
Wiktoria = Victoria
Oliwia = Olivia
Wisa = Visa
Warsaw = Vorshava
Krakow = Krakov

In addition, J's are pronounced like Y's.

Maja = Maya
Julia = Yulia
Anastazja = Anastasia

I know I have a dizzying intellect, but there you have it, the extent of my knowledge of the Polish language. I also know how to say 'hello' and 'thank you' but lately I have been interchanging the two phrases which makes for an awkward hello and many strange looks in my direction, so I have cut back on using them for fear of saying the wrong one.

No comments:

Post a Comment