Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Rose By Any Other Nickname

And here I was, thinking that my student's Korean names and their English monikers were hard to keep track of. Thank you Poland for proving that thought wrong. I have compiled a list of Polish names accompanied by their nickname in an effort to prove that 'Dick is to Richard' like 'Bill is to William' situations also exist in different countries.

Girls
The nickname for Katarzyna is Kasia (Kah-sha).
The nickname for Joanna is Asia (Ah-sha).
The nickname for Dobroslawa is Dosia (Doh-sha).
The nickname for Aleksandra is Ola (oh-la).

Boys
The nickname for Witold is Witek (Vee-tek).
The nickname for Jakub is Kuba (Koo-ba).
The nickname for Franciszek is Franek (Frah-nek).
The nickname for Arkadiusz is Arek (Ah-rek).

This is a small sampling of what I deal with on a daily basis. It has taken over a month but I am almost positive I know all my student's names now. And hopefully seeing these names will help you understand why I am having such a hard time learning Polish!

No comments:

Post a Comment