Monday, January 7, 2013

Nerd Goggles - City II

Rome, or Roma in Italian, was the first stop on my Italian tour. I saw my first sunrise in months as our over-night train, AKA worst night of sleep in my life, rolled into Rome. It was an enchanting way to begin my stay in the city. I loved the history and the architecture here, but ancient history is really hard for me to wrap my head around. I had the fortune to see many great sights and learn many great things about what was once the greatest empire in the ancient world.

The Colosseum was my favorite. The fact that people watched other people fight to the death for entertainment (real life Hunger Games anyone?) boggles my mind.




I was also overwhelmed by the beauty of St. Peter's Basillica. That place is HUGE, as well as ornate.

                         




My other favorite tourist activity in Rome was throwing a coin into the Trevii Fountain. Unfortunately, about 500 other people decided that they wanted to do the same thing.




Despite the Tourist Trap that Rome has become, I am incredibly grateful for all I saw and learned there. Look how happy I was:


"What you are now, we once were;
what we are now, you shall be."
~A Memento mori which is a Latin phrase 
that translates as 
"remember your mortality"~

No comments:

Post a Comment