Sunday, November 21, 2010

Seoul Lantern Festival

My first adventure slash tourist excursion was last weekend when Erin took me to the Seoul Lantern Festival. Here I am, excited on the bus:


Erin and I had received a Starbucks Christmas coffee tumbler and a free Starbucks drink, from one of our students for Pepero Day. On this day (11.11) the students buy Pepero (small chocolate covered sticks) for their teachers in bulk. Unfortunately, I arrived too close to Pepero Day for most of my students to know me well enough to bestow the sacred Pepero upon me. However, one student went above and beyond the call of Pepero Day and gave me the very item I was wishing I had thrown in my suitcase, a coffee tumbler. Because of this, Erin and I had decided to start out our Seoul day trip with a stop at one of the few Starbucks in Korea that has a Starbucks sign written in Korean.

Yes, that somehow says Starbucks.

Top: The ads in Korean. Bottom: Erin and I enjoying our $6.50 drinks,
drinking out of a straw, as is customary here.
On we went to a market in Namdaemun (I am making up that spelling, but it is pronounced Nom-day-moon). It is where I will be buying most of your Christmas presents, and it is jammed packed with so much stuff it is a little sickening. There are also people covering every inch of every free space within sight, so I made a mental note to return on a weekday.

At the equally crowded Lantern Festival, I enjoyed the sights, just not the crowd. Here are a few pictures to show you how pretty it was. Keep in mind these are all made out of paper!





So beautiful and definitely worth the trip into Seoul! Until next time ~Peace and Blessings, Peace and Blessings~

2 comments:

  1. Peace and blessings, peace and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't white enough Amanda. Maybe you should do some yoga or pilates

    ReplyDelete