Saturday, October 30, 2010

Back To Sleeping on the Floor

My flight to Korea was really long and uneventful so we will skip that part of my journey. Suffice it to say that I got to drink wine on the plane and I still only slept a total of about 2 and a half hours out of a 13 hour flight…I can’t sleep on airplanes! When all was said and done I was awake for about 24 hours from leaving my house in Colorado to arriving at my school. Yes, the cab driver was instructed to drop me off at my school instead of my new apartment. Of course I would get to meet all of my new co-workers looking like a hot mess and not smelling much better. A Korean boy named Leo met me at the cab and took my hot mess self and my luggage to the 4th floor of the building, where I got to meet my new boss, Harry. He seems very nice and he doesn’t speak much English. I have also been told that he is very uncomfortable around white women, especially when they cry, which I fully expect to do at some point here in the next few weeks.
Harry sat me down in his office and proceeded to tell me that I have an apartment, but no furniture in the apartment. He said “You come at bad time.” And I thought “You’re the one who bought my ticket.” There are eight foreign teachers, and I am here to replace Steve. When Steve leaves at the end of the month, they are going to move all of his furniture to my place. For now, I have Harry’s son’s twin size futon pad on the floor. And nothing else. No washing machine, no refrigerator, no internet, no BED! At this point I was literally the walking dead so this news didn’t phase me too much. I met all of my new coworkers and they all seem so nice and helpful, which is the only reason I am still sane at this point. That nights’ sleep was the best sleep I have had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment