Sunday, October 31, 2010

Good Thing I Only Went 4 Days Without Hearing Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream'

While Bundang is incredibly westernized, it still has its own distinct culture. I stole Erin's idea from her blog so I will make lists of interesting things I have learned and observed during my first days here.
  1. Korean’s believe that you are already 1 year old when you are born. So that would make me 26 years old. When the New Year rolls around you become one year older, no matter when your birthday is. So as of New Years 2011, I will be 27 years old. I had no idea this whole experience would age me so quickly.
  2. Korean’s drive on the right side of the road, but they don’t seem to understand the concept of staying in one lane…which makes me incredibly grateful that I won’t be driving here.
  3. Korean’s do celebrate Halloween by dressing up but they don't really go door to door asking strangers for candy. What a concept.
  4. My students will call me "teacher" or "Amanda teacher." I kind of miss "Miss Amanda" but that is ok.
  5. Korean's use heated floors instead of central heating. I must say that is works really well as every place I go is really warm, except for my school. For whatever reason it is absolutely FREEZING inside!
  6. When you enter someone's home you should remove your shoes as a sign of respect. I also learned that a person's home is their sanctuary and a very private and special place. Being invited to a Korean's home is a very rare occurence and is a great honor.
  7. My new friend Erin has told me that shopping is a national pasttime here in Korea, and I am quickly learning how true that is. Every store I have been to here has been as busy as U.S. stores are on Christmas Eve. And everyone has shopping bags. Everyone also has really, really nice cars. I have not seen a single rusted out junker in this city.
  8. In order to throw my trash away, I must purchase special trash bags, which happen to be bright pink, and I just place it outside my apartment building on the sidewalk. A trash truck comes around and collects the trashbags.
  9. Hello is "Anyang haseo" (On-yong Ha-say-o)
  10. Thank you is "Kahasamnida" (Kom-som-nee-da)
  11. I have tried some traditional foods and I have to say that I have liked most of them. Sorry Dad, I did try Kimchi, but it was in a spicy hot sauce so I didn't enjoy it. Mandu (Mon-doo) are potstickers and you can get them boiled or fried. Bee bim bop is a rice dish. Tangsuyuk (Tong-soo-yook) is fried pork and is by far the best thing I have tried. Jjajang bap (Ja-jong-bop) is rice with a black bean sauce and is sweet, and pretty tasty. I guess I don't understand how Korean's are so skinny because they eat an awful lot of fried food!
I still have so much more to learn, and I am learning slowly, but that is what this experience is all about. I won't be getting paid a full paycheck until December 15th, so for this next month and 15 days I will be living frugally and simply. Hopefully after that I can start to travel and see new places and learn more new things. I get my furniture and hopefully the internet tomorrow as well as begin teaching my first classes. Big Monday for me! I will have 5 classes on MWF and 6 classes on TTh. Wish me luck! Peace out girl scouts.

2 comments:

  1. 간장공장 공장장은 강 공장장이고,
    된장공장 공장장은 공 공장장이다

    kan-jang-kong-jang kong-jang-jang-eun kang kong-jang-jang-ee-go,
    dwen-jang-kong-jang kong-jang-jang-eun kong kong-jang-jang-ee-da.

    That's the only korean I know. Its a tongue twister about the owner of a soy sauce factory, if memory serves. Have a korean recite it for you. Good fun.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is CRAZY! How do you know that tongue twister?

    And thanks! I will keep writing!

    ReplyDelete