Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Must Have Really Good Luck with Girls Named Erin

Out of all the people I will be working with, I have found and clung to one that stood out the night I met her, Erin. I have never been more grateful to one individual in a shorter amount of time than I have been to her. She took me under her wing and showed me lots of things on my first day in Bundang (pronounced Boon-dong). We went to the bank and exchanged my money, she took me to Daiso the Japanese dollar store (BEST place I have ever been to), Tom N Tom’s for some coffee and showed me how the local bus system works. She is also hilarious and we get along really well, and she is the reason I will be really successful here.
I have continued to explore my surroundings with my new BFF Erin and it is absolutely GORGEOUS here! It is also incredibly westernized and I have access to McDonald’s, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Emart (Korea’s version of Target), Home Plus (Korea’s version of Wal-Mart), and Daison (Korea’s Japanese version of Dollar Tree). I got really lucky to have arrived here during the last of the beautiful fall weather. The city I live in is pretty affluent. I live in an apartment building that is a 5 minute walk up a steep hill from the school I work at. Here are some of the sights I see on a daily basis:

My apartment building. My apartment is directly up a half flight of stairs from the front door.

The building and wilderness across the street from my apartment building.

My street sign.
I will post pictures of my actual apartment after I get furniture in it! Right now there is nothing to see...
I will be teaching at a hogwan (hog-won) which is a private school. That means that the students have school during the day and then their parents send them to my school to learn English in the evening. I will be teaching classes from 4:25 PM to 10:20 PM Monday-Friday!

This is the building where I teach. The blue sign about 5 floors up that says HR is for my school. Most of the buildings here cover their windows with signs.

The Dunkin Donuts across the street from my school. We don't even have these in CO anymore!
That is my little neighborhood in a nutshell. I can take a local bus to the busy part of town or the city bus to go shopping at the big stores, so I will get pictures of those places later.

2 comments:

  1. By the name of the blog I thought you were going to talk about your AMAZING cousin... I guess I don't need to get an agent yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, very cute! I love the pictures! I took mine in the spring and I don't think they turned out as well.

    ReplyDelete