Thursday, December 1, 2011

All The Korean I Know

As I reflect on my time here in Korea, I start to realize how little of the language I have picked up. I only know a few words and maybe two phrases. Not the ideal guest in a foreign country I guess. So I present to you now, the extent of my knowledge of the Korean language. As you read these words, pretend that a cute foreign girl has just moved to your neighborhood, and this is the ONLY English she knows. It might help you get a feel for what the Koreans have to put up with, with me.

"Hello." (In person AND on the telephone.)
"Yes."
"No."
"Thank you."
"I'm ok." or "It's ok." or "Are you ok?" (The same words, just said with a different inflection.)
"I'm tired."
"I'm hungry."
"Sit down."
"Me too."
"Bring me this please."
"How much is it?" (Even though I don't understand the answer most of the time.)

pretty
baby
mom
dad
older brother
older sister
middle aged man
middle aged woman
grandmother
teacher
here
there
Sunae High School
beer
water
beef
pork
American

Pretty useless, but in my defense, so many people speak English here...I was never forced to learn. Plus I am lazy AND Korean is really hard to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment